Tuesday, October 22, 2024
Shane Fruchterman Yung Gravy Taste of Madison (5).jpg

‘Hide your moms, not your ballots’: Yung Gravy to visit Madison Wednesday to encourage early voting

The rapper and UW-Madison alum is teaming up with event company Daybreaker to encourage voter participation on campus ahead of the election.

Rapper Yung Gravy will return to Madison on Oct. 23 as part of a nationwide “Party to the Polls” tour, encouraging voter participation ahead of the election. The rapper will perform, lead a parade to Memorial Union and host a meet and greet.

The “Party to the Polls Purple Tour” is a nationwide, nonpartisan event sponsored by Daybreaker that aims to encourage voter participation in the upcoming election through “dance parties celebrating democracy.”

Yung Gravy will perform at Liquid Madison from noon to 1 p.m. on Wednesday. At 1 p.m. Gravy and a brass band will lead a parade of voters to Memorial Union’s early voting polls. Free Ian’s Pizza and Paul’s Pel’meni will be served for lunch and voters will be met with both “poll” and “pole” dancers on arrival. Afterward, Gravy will host a meet and greet for voters on the library mall side of Memorial Union.

“This is the purple tour — whether you are blue or red, we welcome all to collectively dance with Yung Gravy and follow him in a musical procession to the polls,” event coordinator and Co-Founder of Daybreaker Eli Clark-Davis told The Daily Cardinal.

The event will be hosted by District 2 Ald. Juliana Bennett and District 8 Ald. MGR Govindarajan. 

“The goal of this event is to make voting easy and fun for everyone,” Govindarajan told The Daily Cardinal. 

Yung Gravy most recently performed in Madison at the 2022 Taste of Madison festival.