Wednesday, October 23, 2024
Madison Metropolitan School District Headquarters

Republican lawmakers sent a letter to Gov. Tony Evers Monday asking him to direct federal funding to school districts that have provided “full-time, in-person instruction.” The lawmakers expressed concern that “large districts like Milwaukee and Madison” are receiving the most federal funding despite not being in-person. 

Madison mayor acknowledges problems with multimillion dollar investments for MMSD, still advocates for referendum passage

Mayor Satya Rhodes-Conway supports MMSD referendums despite worries about the impact.

Referendums on the Nov. 5 ballot call for operations and facilities improvements within the Madison Metropolitan School District (MMSD) that will result in property tax increases for city residents. 

Two MMSD referendums will be on the ballot in November: an operations levy asking for $100 million dollars over the next four years, and a facilities bond asking for $507 million over 23 years. Both cause concern for affordable housing in Madison. 

The operations levy, mainly focusing on raising teacher salaries, will start at a $26 monthly increase on the average Madison home, according to the MMSD website. By the end of the four years, it is anticipated to be $87. 

The facilities bond, planning to rebuild and/or renovate 10 public school buildings in the district, estimates a $27 monthly increase over 23 years starting in 2025. 

Madison Mayor Satya Rhodes-Conway recognized at a hearing on Thursday the concern for passing these two referendums. She said she doesn't think anyone even wants them.

“Of course I’m worried about the impact,” Rhodes-Conway said. Despite the uneasiness, Rhodes-Conway still supports the investment in Madison’s public schools. 

MMSD Superintendent Joe Gothard felt the same way. Gothard said he wants to “attract the very best staff” with the levy that will increase teacher salaries and that he strongly believes in the importance of recruiting and retaining qualified educators within the district. 

Gothard acknowledged the housing struggle and cited living in Madison on an average teacher’s salary as unrealistic. He said the operations levy will help with “providing a salary that allows our staff to work here.”

The facilities bonds will fund MMSD’s reconstruction for aging buildings. According to the district’s website, 26 school buildings are over 60 years old, and 40 receive C or D grades. Gothard said  an infrastructure improvement for every below-par building is “not just a simple fix... that is a major renovation.” 

Rhodes-Conway brought up the possibility that the city may not even need the revenue from levy and bonds if another outside source were to fund the improvements. But she said it is not likely this will occur, which is why she said will not wait to put the referendums on the ballot when “the problem is before us.”

“I desperately want my neighbor’s kids to be well educated,” Rhodes-Conway said. “Our community deserves better.” 

The mayor addressed the possibility for the failure of the levy and the bonds and said she understands the concerns that city home owners have about property tax growth. However, she believes that “Madison is worth the investment,” and she implores residents to agree with her.