Tuesday, October 08, 2024
Drake White-Bergey EMS Ambulance.JPG

MPD investigates shooting after one injured in downtown Madison

Police responded to reports of shots fired on West Gilman Street around 2 a.m. on Sunday morning, and one person was taken to a hospital with a gunshot wound.

The Madison Police Department responded to reports of shots fired on West Gilman Street around 2 a.m. on Sunday morning, according to an incident report. One person was taken to a local hospital for treatment of a non-life threatening gunshot wound.

Officers responded on the 400 block of West Gilman Street, which is right off State Street. 

The shooting comes almost exactly one month after another was reported in the same location, where MPD confronted someone with a firearm and MPD fired shots.

The MPD Violent Crime unit is currently working on the case, the officer in charge at the time told The Daily Cardinal.

“I woke up to gunshots and glass breaking right outside my window and shot up in bed to look outside. At first I thought it was a car stalling out, but then I saw three people running down an alley off West Gorham [between 420 West apartments and The James],” Bella Wolfe, a sophomore at UW-Madison who lives at Aberdeen Apartments, told the Cardinal.

Wolfe said the police stayed through the night, and the incident report said they remained on scene until around 7:15 a.m.

The department is investigating leads and is asking anyone with information regarding the incident to contact the Madison Police Department at 608-255-2345. 

Photo Editor Finnegan Ricco contributed to this article.

Ella Hanley

Ella Hanley is the associate news editor for The Daily Cardinal. She has written breaking, city, state and campus news. Follow her on Twitter at @ellamhanley.