Friday, October 18, 2024
img_4154 2 (1).jpg

‘Political Palette’ event emphasizes global impact of voting through art during Latine Heritage Month

The educational, nonpartisan event was one of many celebrating Latine Heritage Month. This year’s theme, “Illuminating Our Voices,” aimed to showcase how Latine people share personal passions and culture through art.

University of Wisconsin-Madison students who attended “Political Palette,” an event hosted for Latine Heritage Month on Thursday, were met with refreshments, prizes and welcoming smiles. 

Through do-it-yourself art collages, participants explored political engagement and activism as members of the Latine Heritage Month Planning Committee spoke on different forms of political involvement and encouraged them to create “vision boards” to visualize their choices. 

The educational nonpartisan event was one of many UW-Madison events celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15. This year’s theme, “Illuminating Our Voices,” showcased how Latine people share personal passions and culture through art. 

Junior Alexa Iraheta and senior Eileen Gomez, members of the Latine Heritage Planning Committee, gave a presentation emphasizing the global impact of voting and political engagement. 

The pair agreed that being a policymaker is not the only way to get involved in politics. They cited canvassing as another way to get politically engaged beyond voting, recommending that Badgers knock on doors, volunteer at telephone banks or send letters to their representatives. 

Gomez said voting has a global impact, regardless of one’s home state or country, and reminded students that if they are dual citizens, they can vote in both countries and “help decide the future.”

Gomez also explained how votes inside the United States impact the global environment. When it comes to immigration and the economy, U.S. elections impact trade agreements, tariffs and the lives of refugees and immigrants, she said. 

“Don't think that your vote or your word doesn't matter,” Iraheta told students. “Post on social media about issues that matter to you, converse with others about current events or issues and talk to adults in your life that might not be as aware of certain issues.” 

After detailing the role of art, specifically collage-making, in helping individuals express their political views, the presenters invited participants to create their own political “palettes”. Badgers cut, pasted and drew to express themselves while chatting with program organizers or picking up free swag and treats. 

Afterward, participants were invited to stop by The Morgridge Center for Public Service table at the event, which offered help for Badgers to curate their own voting plans and spread awareness to others. The Morgridge Center, housed in the Red Gym, has information on how to register and print voter identification and will answer any questions about voting in Madison. 

As Hispanic Heritage Month comes to a close, program coordinator Natalie Ergas said the month is important at UW-Madison.

“It creates a space for all students to celebrate and uplift Latine culture and gives the students I work with the chance to plan the events for the month,” Ergas said. “I think it's really powerful to have the student voice.”