Thursday, October 10, 2024
Soulja Boy 10.1_004.jpg
Soulja Boy performs at the Majestic Theater on October 1, 2024 in Madison, Wis.

Soulja Boy brings ‘Pretty Boy Swag’ to Madison

The American rapper and producer visited the Majestic Theatre Oct. 1 for his SODMG Tour.

Soulja Boy, real name DeAndre Cortez Way, shot to fame in 2007 with his hit song “Crank That (Soulja Boy).” Since then, he has released 10 studio albums, toured with artists like Lil Wayne and Drake and won two Black Entertainment Television awards — one for his signature “Crank Dat Soulja Boy” dance. 

By the end of his show at Madison’s Majestic Theatre, it was clear that for many fans, this dance was the main event.

Fans lined up along the Majestic before the doors to the venue opened and poured inside as opener Kresal the Kidd took the stage. Kresal delivered an energetic set complete with crowd surfing and blow-up dice, getting the crowd ready for Soulja Boy’s entrance. As Kresal’s set ended, DJ Jean le Duke took his place, encouraging the crowd in their chants for Soulja Boy. Though he went on close to an hour late, Soulja Boy’s opening number “Turn My Swag On” had the entire crowd jumping and singing along. 

With musicians Suvi and DJ Jean de Luke behind him on stage, Soulja Boy never stopped moving as he performed hit after hit. Every space in the venue, from the balcony to the pit to the bar, filled with fans immersed in the classic hyper-minimal Soulja Boy sound. It was hard to tell which song the crowd enjoyed most — their energy never wavered.

Soulja Boy’s spirit and enthusiasm created a vibrant atmosphere where every crowd member felt a sense of belonging and comradery. Every fan, whether they were wearing the signature white Soulja Boy glasses or were just there to hear his top hits, was immersed in the set and had no issue singing or dancing with their fellow crowd members. Soulja Boy’s use of a mix of many different styles, such as hip hop, trap, pop and rap, provides the audience with a unique experience that can appeal to almost anyone.

Soulja Boy repeatedly interacted with fans, moving back and forth across the stage and stepping out closer to the crowd as often as he could. It seemed his top priority was to create a show that appealed to the audience, and that is exactly what he did.

The show came to a close with a statement from Soulja Boy of his gratitude, followed by his early hits “Kiss Me Thru the Phone” and “Crank That.” Though the energy in the crowd was consistent throughout his set, Soulja Boy’s closing numbers seemed to be the fan favorites. Crowd members could be seen leaning over the balcony singing along and even jumping around in the very back of the venue, making it difficult to move through the crowd. 

As Soulja Boy performed his signature “Crank Dat Soulja Boy” dance, the entire venue moved in sync as fans jumped left and right singing the word “you.” The short set did nothing to deter the smiling faces of fans at the end of the show and exclamations of “I can’t hear a thing!”

It is clear that Soulja Boy’s sound has never left the hearts of many of his fans, particularly those who grew up with his late-2000s hits. His energetic performance at the Majestic Theatre is proof of that.