Thursday, October 17, 2024
Melissa Farquhar and Erin McGlynn, UW-Madison professional students, headed to Houston last Wednesday to assist efforts to remove the vast number of mosquitoes caused by Hurricane Harvey.

Storm Warning: Hurricanes Helene and Milton are reshaping the upcoming election

The recent hurricanes have heightened voter awareness of climate challenges, increasing pressure on candidates to address environmental issues as November approaches.

In late September, Hurricane Helene tore through the states of Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia and Tennessee. Helene demolished areas typically safe from hurricanes and became the deadliest mainland hurricane since Katrina in 2005. Florida residents are now recovering from a second hit from Hurricane Milton, which caused an estimated $50 billion in damage, according to the Biden administration. 

The tragic reality of Helene and Milton is that despite attempts at preventative disaster relief, the storms arrived before we were ready. As a result, lives were lost, homes were destroyed and extensive reconstruction efforts are now underway. We've grown used to this cycle, yet our country remains unprepared to handle increasingly severe weather. 

With November approaching, voters on either side of the aisle must consider a new issue as they head to the polls: disaster response.

Voters can’t ignore the implications of disasters like Helene and Milton, no matter where they fall on the political spectrum. This makes the government’s disaster response a main factor influencing the opinions of voters, shining a heavy spotlight on the Federal Emergency Management Agency. 

As of Saturday, FEMA has responded to the disasters with $441 million in assistance for Helene survivors and $349 million for public rebuilding of communities and their infrastructure allocated to affected states. This allows impacted communities to apply for aid from federal funding alongside the more than 10,000 government personnel on the ground helping to mitigate the damages.

While it's too early to assess whether FEMA's response is sufficient, it's no secret that the Biden administration — and in turn, Vice President Kamala Harris — will be held accountable for its effectiveness. In the critical final weeks of her campaign, Harris can’t afford a slow road to recovery, as delays could jeopardize her standing amidst national turmoil.

On top of uncertainty surrounding the effectiveness of FEMA's response, disinformation about Hurricanes Helene and Milton creates a new dangerous situation for survivors seeking aid. Key swing states, heavily impacted by the storms, have seen unfounded rumors, such as claims that the hurricanes were man-made to influence the election and Trump's false assertions that Washington withheld funds for Southeast restoration efforts

Amid this disinformation, Harris addressed a church gathering in North Carolina this past Sunday, condemning those who “play politics with other people's heartbreak” and urging bipartisan cooperation instead. Given Harris’ direct association with the Biden administration’s performance in disaster recovery, disinformation surrounding Helene and Milton risks damage to her image while also undermining the importance of climate change initiatives in the upcoming presidential term. 

Not only will the Biden administration’s response to Helene and Milton shake up Harris’ campaign, but the right response to these severe weather events could lead voters to prioritize climate policy on the ballot this November. In response, the vice presidential debate between Ohio Sen. JD Vance and Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz held in the aftermath of Hurricane Helene was largely focused on climate change, compared to the last two presidential debates that barely touched the subject

The bottom line is this election cycle has seen federal disaster response and climate change issues rise to the forefront of the 2024 presidential campaigns. This focus not only underscores the urgency of challenges like the increased frequency of extreme weather, disinformation and disaster recovery preparedness, but it also instills hope that future administrations will prioritize the implementation of climate policies.

That’s why student voters at University of Wisconsin-Madison must bring their understanding of human-induced climate change and the cyclical nature of disasters to the polls. If voters hold candidates accountable for their strategies, there becomes an incentive for political actors to develop resilient, sustainable solutions to climate threats. 

With nearly 42 million Gen Z voters nationwide, including 7.8 million in key states, young voters are increasingly engaged through university voter registration efforts and are taking stronger stances on climate issues, especially after Helene and Milton. Candidates are responding by investing in social media ads and campus rallies in swing states like we saw last month in Wisconsin. This renewed focus on climate change may benefit Harris’ campaign and offer hope for future administrations to prioritize environmental action.

The tragedy of Helene and Milton goes beyond the devastation they caused. We knew this was coming, yet we failed to act — extreme weather events are now an inevitable part of our future that continues to be ignored. With the urgency of climate change more evident than ever, the choices we make at the ballot will shape not only our immediate disaster response but also the long-term survival of our planet. The time for accountability is now. Our future depends on it. 

Haley Froseth

Staff Writer