Saturday, October 26, 2024
Alex Hornbook is looking to put his prior struggles against Nebraska behind him and improve his performance against Purdue this weekend. 

Wisconsin can upset No. 3 Penn State, but they’ll need a near-perfect game

The Badgers will face the undefeated Penn State Nittany Lions in a primetime Camp Randall matchup on Saturday.

The Wisconsin Badgers extended their win streak to three games after going to Evanston and defeating Northwestern 23-3. Defense was the name of the game last weekend, holding the Wildcats to just 209 total yards of offense and one field goal.

Wisconsin’s defense has shut down opposing offenses all month. During their last three games, the Badgers have allowed only 16 points and one touchdown. The defense is clicking at just the right time to face one of their biggest tests of the season this Saturday against a Penn State squad that’s averaging 471.2 yards and 34.2 points per game. 

The Nittany Lions have had Wisconsin’s number in recent years, winning seven out of the last eight matchups. If the Badgers are going to beat Penn State, they’ll have to play their best game of the season. They need to play a full 60 minutes of clean football on both sides against a Penn State unit that has forced eight turnovers this season. 

Wisconsin quarterback Braedyn Locke has thrown four interceptions over the last three games, so he needs to avoid forcing throws into tight coverage and be wise with the football. One costly turnover against Penn State could very well end up being the deciding factor on Saturday night.

The offensive line’s performance will also be crucial this weekend. They’ve been playing exceptionally well so far this season, allowing running back Tawee Walker to put up sensational numbers. Winning the battle in the trenches will be important, as Penn State’s defensive front has racked up 14 sacks on the season thus far. 

The Nittany Lions will head into Camp Randall with a perfect 6-0 record, although they have had some close calls. They’re coming off of a 33-30 overtime win against the USC Trojans, a game in which they trailed 20-6 at halftime.

This is the fourth consecutive season Penn State has started the season 5-0 or better. Their first loss in their last three campaigns all happened to come against Big Ten opponents on the road in October. This weekend’s matchup for the Nittany Lions? An away game against a Big Ten team in the final weekend of October.

A victory against Penn State would easily be the biggest achievement of the ‘Luke Fickell era’ for Wisconsin football. Not only would it be their first win against a ranked opponent under second-year head coach Luke Fickell, but they would simultaneously clinch a bowl game and extend the program’s bowl game streak to 23 years, the third-longest streak in the nation. If that happens, security could have a hard time keeping Badgers fans off the field on Saturday night. 

The last time fans rushed the field at Camp Randall Stadium was in 2010 following a victory over No. 1 Ohio State. It’s been 14 years since then, and it’s safe to say that Wisconsin football fans are hungry for another field rush. 

Badger Barstool took to Instagram, already posting a potential route that fans could take to carry the goalposts to Lake Mendota. There’s a feeling of excitement and hope around the city of Madison going into this weekend’s game. 

It is sure to be a tough battle, but it should be a thrilling game between two Big Ten teams that have been playing great football recently. Camp Randall during primetime is a tough environment for any opponent to play in, and Badgers fans will be extra loud hoping that Wisconsin will hand the Nittany Lions their first loss of the season.

Kickoff is at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday night.