Friday, October 18, 2024
Mens Soccer V Rutgers-233.jpg

Wisconsin men’s soccer earned a point in a scoreless draw against Northwestern

The Badgers’ win-less drought has now extended to a month after they tied the Northwestern Wildcats on Tuesday night.

The University of Wisconsin-Madison men’s soccer team had a stellar defensive performance against fellow Big Ten rivals, the Northwestern Wildcats. Freshman goalkeeper Matisse Hébert earned his fifth shutout of the season as he continues to have an impressive first year

Wisconsin is still in search of the offensive success they saw in the beginning of the season, only scoring one goal in the past three games. While the Badgers earned a point against the Wildcats, they haven't claimed the three points since defeating UCLA on Sept.16. 

While Northwestern outshot Wisconsin, the Wildcats only had one of their nine shots go on frame. The Badgers put up six shots with three being on goal. They only shot once within the second half. 

Wisconsin continued to feel Trip Fleming’s absence, as the sophomore star is second on the team in goals, assists and shots on goal. He hasn’t appeared in the past two contests for Wisconsin.

The Badgers won their first five matchups this season; their last five consist of three losses and two scoreless ties. The Badgers have a 6-4-2 overall record and a 1-4-2 in-conference record. 

While this winless drought could appear discouraging, Wisconsin is clearly capable of winning games, and they have three more chances in the regular season, all against conference opponents. 

They will work to earn their second Big Ten conference win on Saturday as they return home to host No. 5 Ohio State at 7 p.m.