Monday, October 21, 2024
Wisconsin Women's Soccer vs Illinois72.jpg

Women’s soccer is back on track with two road wins

The Wisconsin women’s soccer team handed Iowa their first loss in conference play on Thursday and earned a narrow victory against Indiana on Sunday.

The Wisconsin Badgers women's soccer team marked back-to-back victories against No. 9 Iowa and Indiana last week, sending them on their first win streak in conference play. 

Last Thursday's win against No. 9 Iowa marked the Badgers’ first win against a ranked opponent this season as they handed Iowa their first loss in conference play. Wisconsin won with back-to-back goals in the second half, putting them over the Hawkeyes 2-1. In their 1-0 win against Indiana, the Badgers scored early in the first half and kept the Hoosiers scoreless for the rest of the game.  

Throughout both games and going into this week’s match against Michigan State and Maryland, one thing is clear: Aryssa Marht is back. 

After scoring goals in four out of the Badgers’ first five matches, the middle of the season saw Marht struggle to get the ball past goalkeepers. Marht’s goal against Nebraska on Oct. 6 was her first since early September. Against Iowa and Indiana, however, Marht scored one goal in each game, giving her a scoring streak heading into the last chunk of the season. 

Wisconsin vs. Iowa 

Going into its match-up with Wisconsin, Iowa ranked third in the Big Ten and ninth in the country in the United Soccer Coaches poll. It seemed evident the Hawkeyes would beat the Badgers, who drew against an unranked Nebraska the previous Sunday. 

In the first half, the Badgers put up five shots, none of which were on goal. Goalkeeper Drew Stover managed to stop one Iowa goal. 

A penalty kick goal in the 18th minute by Iowa seemed to confirm a Badgers loss as the first half closed out with no score from the Badgers. 

It was in the 73rd minute that everything changed. 

A foul on Iowa’s Millie Greer gave the Badgers a penalty kick taken by Marht. Marht scored, and suddenly the game was even at 1-1. 

Five minutes later, an Iowa turnover gave Wisconsin the ball once again, and sophomore defender Hailey Baumann got just enough control to send it flying into Iowa’s box. In a flurry of motion, it was hard to tell whether Iowa had headed the ball away or the lone Wisconsin player in the mix had control of the ball. Then came the shot and goal from Maia Richters, her first of the season. 

With no goal from Iowa in the final 13 minutes of play, Wisconsin pulled off their first upset of their 2024 season. 

Despite being outshot by the Hawkeyes 9-8, the sheer effort of goalkeeper Drew Stover fended Iowa off, notching two saves to Iowa’s one. The Badgers used Iowa’s high number of fouls to their advantage, including in their first goal. Iowa had 21 fouls for the entire game while Wisconsin had 17. 

Wisconsin vs. Indiana 

Facing off against a fellow unranked Big Ten opponent, Wisconsin aimed to continue their winning streak and gain more points in conference play. 

The only goal of the game came in the 12th minute from Mahrt with an assist by senior Riley Philbin. 

Indiana’s goalkeeper kicked the ball back into play, but a traffic jam of Indiana players created an opening for Philbin to pull up from behind and take control of the ball. Philbin ran the ball up the sidelines until she crossed the ball to Marht, who after a quick stumble steadied herself and kicked in the game-winner. 

Wisconsin recorded four shots on goal for the entire game and 12 shots overall, twice as many as Indiana. Besides Marht’s goal, Stover in the net helped the Badgers to a win, recording two saves and earning her fifth clean sheet of the season. 

The Badgers are now ranked ninth in the Big Ten. 

Gabriella Hartlaub

Gabriella Hartlaub is the former arts editor for The Daily Cardinal. She has also written state politics and campus news. She currently is a summer reporting intern with Raleigh News and Observer. Follow her on Twitter at @gabihartlaub.